In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Briefs will be shared regularly through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Currently, they are released on Mondays and Thursdays.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
UPDATE FROM WESTERN U.P. HEALTH DEPARTMENT
UPDATED NUMBERS FOR March 1
The previous update was Thursday, February 25. All numbers below are in comparison to that update.
- TOTAL: 11 more positives, 1 more probable positive, 86 more recoveries, 2 deaths and 15.00% fully vaccinated (up from 14.10% meaning 460 people)
- BARAGA COUNTY: 1 more positives, 3 more recoveries and 17.91% fully vaccinated (up from 17.16%)
- GOGEBIC COUNTY: 2 more positives, 28 more recoveries, 1 death and 14.48% fully vaccinated (up from 14.25%)
- HOUGHTON COUNTY: 9 more positives, 2 more probable positives, 26 more recoveries, 1 death and 12.99% fully vaccinated (up from 12.17%)
- KEWEENAW COUNTY: 1 less probable positive, 1 less recovery and 17.02% fully vaccinated (up from 15.44%)
- ONTONAGON COUNTY: 1 less positive, 3 more recoveries and 23.57% fully vaccinated (up from 20.09%)
Dr. Robert Van Howe Returns to Western Upper Peninsula as Provisional Medical Director
The Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (WUPHD) is pleased to announce the return of Robert Van Howe, MD, MS as its Provisional Medical Director. Dr. Van Howe previously served as Interim Medical Director from October 2019 through December 2020 for the WUPHD and two other district health departments in the Upper Peninsula.
Prior to his work in public health, Dr. Van Howe practiced general pediatrics in Marquette County and was the founding Professor and Chief of Pediatrics at the Central Michigan University College of Medicine. Dr. Van Howe has provisional status until the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services approves his full appointment.
“We are excited to have Dr. Van Howe back on board to assist in our efforts to control the COVID-19 pandemic and oversee other public health services,” said Kate Beer, Health Officer at WUPHD.
For more information on services provided by the WUPHD, please visit their website at wuphd.org.
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.