In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Briefs will be shared regularly through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Currently, they are released on Mondays and Thursdays.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
UPDATES FROM WESTERN U.P. HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Below are number updates since the last reported numbers on Thursday, September 17.
- TOTAL: 71 more positives, 20 more probable positives, three more recoveries
- BARAGA COUNTY: Seven more positives, three more probable positives
- GOGEBIC COUNTY: One more positive
- HOUGHTON COUNTY: 62 more positives, 17 more probable positives, two more recoveries
- KEWEENAW COUNTY: One more positive
- ONTONAGON COUNTY: One more recovery
UPDATES ABOUT HOUGHTON COUNTY SCHOOLS
- The Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (WUPHD) is announcing that all Houghton County Schools will be going to on-line only classes beginning Monday, September 28. On-line classes will continue for a two-week period with in-person sessions resuming Monday, October 12. The move is necessary to help reduce the rate of COVID-19 spread within the community.
WUPHD points to a sustained increase in positive cases since the end of August as the major reason for asking the schools to make the temporary suspension of in-person classes.
“The capacity of our local healthcare and public health system has been stretched thin by the steady increase of COVID-19 cases in Houghton County”, said Kate Beer, Health Officer at WUPHD. “The positive test rate for Houghton County has risen from 0.6% at the end of August, to 5.1% as of September 21. This pause allows us to work with the schools and other community partners to review and strengthen mitigation efforts as we move forward with the school year. The goal is to slow the spread so that local resources are not overwhelmed.”
Houghton County has posted 125 new cases and 29 probable cases in the last week. The WUPHD is also seeing an increase in cases for Baraga County. The temporary suspension does not apply to school districts in Baraga, Gogebic, Keweenaw and Ontonagon counties.
Additional COVID-19 information can be found on our website at www.wuphd.org, or by calling 906482-7382. County level statistics are listed on the state website at https://www.mistartmap.info/.
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.